- Helping to keep the community tidy through Clean Up Australia Day and K.E.S.A.B.
- Growing seedlings for Trees for Life.
LIONS RECYCLE FOR SIGHT
- In the past year Modbury Lions have wrapped and sent approximately 4,000 used spectacles to this programme. Most of these have been collected from local Opticians. After cleaning and grading in Queensland, a person in the third world can now see – thanks to that donation
AUSTRALIAN HEARING DOGS
- Modbury Lions Club and the Lions Hearing Dog Training Centre recently provided a trained Hearing Dog to a local person who is profoundly deaf. This commitment required two of our members to visit 3 times a week for the first 3 months after delivery to continue the training of the dog to react to various sounds in order to reinforce the training. The dog was then assessed by a registered Trainer and passed with flying colours.
- In 1982 the first dog trained at the Lions Hearing Dog Training Centre at Verdun was delivered to a woman in Para Vista. Since then, over 550 Hearing Dogs have been delivered to deaf and hard of hearing people nationwide as a gift from the Lions Clubs of Australia.
- Hearing Dogs have transformed the lives of hundreds of Australians by providing independence, security and confidence. Hearing dogs can be any shape or size. The majority are sourced from pounds, shelters and rescue organisations. As well as being loyal companions, some of our dogs have even saved lives.
- DOGS CAN HEAR UP TO 9 sounds.
- TRAINING TAKES 6-8 months.
- A DOG IS PLACED EVERY 14 days.
- TRAINING COSTS PER DOG IS $30,000.
Our regular fundraising is through BBQs at facilities generously provided by Bunnings Hardware and through the sale of Lions Clubs Christmas Cakes and Puddings.
The funds we raise from the community go back to the community:
- Sponsoring children with disabilities from our local community to attend summer camps.
- Providing specialised mobility frames that enable children with Spina Bifida and Cerebral Palsy to walk without assistance.
- Supporting the Lions Clubs Hearing Dogs Training Centre at Verdun in the Adelaide Hills.
- Funding a number of Lions Clubs Medical Research Foundations.
- Supporting Lions Clubs Disaster Relief Foundations (eg bushfires, earthquakes).
- Through Lions International Save Sight programs, sight has been restored to over seven million people through cataract surgeries, prevented serious vision loss for 20 million people and improved eye care services for hundreds of millions.